07/08/11: Sports Shorts

Three women’s hoops players selected for international play

Junior forward Danielle Hamilton-Carter, sophomore guard Frida Fogdemark and freshman forward Tjasa Gortnar were all selected to play in separate international tournaments this summer.

Hamilton-Carter will be playing for the Swedish team in the World University Games beginning Aug. 14 in Shenzhen, China. Her first game begins against Australia, as her team plays in a pool against the Czech Republic, Japan and Australia.

Fogdemark will be participating in the FIBA U20 European Championship from July 8-17 in Ohrid, Macedonia. Fogdemark will be playing for the Swedish team and begins her play against Hungary in a pool that also includes Portugal, Bulgaria and Macedonia.

Gortnar will be playing for the Slovenian team in the FIBA U19 World Championshop from July 21-31 in Chile. Gortnar aided her team in 2010 at the FIBA U18 European Championship in order to qualify Slovenia  for the FIBA U19 World Championship for the first time.

Uzzi, Perkins given preseason honors in publication

Junior offensive guard Omoregie Uzzi and redshirt freshman running back Charles Perkins were both given preseason honors by Blue Ribbon Yearbook.

Uzzi was picked as a preseason first team All-ACC player by the publication after finishing the 2010 season with second team All-ACC honors. Uzzi started 12 games at right guard as a sophomore and was a key factor in leading Tech’s offense to lead the nation in rushing. Uzzi was also noted by Phil Steele and Athlon as a preseason first-team All-ACC guard.

Perkins was picked by Blue Ribbon Yearbook as the ACC Preseason Newcomer of the year. After verbally committing to the Jackets for many months, Perkins enrolled early at Tech in 2010 and redshirted his freshman season. After a solid spring practice, Perkins goes into fall practice listed second on the depth chart at B-back.

Gomez given ACC men’s tennis Scholar-Athlete honors

Men’s tennis player Guillermo Gomez was named the ACC Men’s Tennis Scholar-Athlete of the Year, along with heading the All-ACC Academic Team.

Gomez finished his senior season as the 2011 ACC Men’s Tennis Player of the Year and an ITA All-American. He also finished his Tech career as the winningest singles player in school history with 119 career wins.

Gomez had a 10-1 singles record through the regular season and fell in the round of 16 at the NCAA Championships.

This is Gomez’s fourth time on the All-ACC Academic team, and has been named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll for every season he played at Tech.