Women’s BBall loses in OT

The No. 25 ranked Tech women’s basketball team traveled to Coral Gables, Fla. to take on ACC rival Miami Sunday, Jan. 30. The Jackets came in having won 14 of their 15 previous games. The night ended in disappointment though, as Tech fell to the Hurricanes 84-74 in overtime. The loss marked only the second ACC loss for the Jackets, and they now sit in third place in the conference.
Senior guard Alex Montgomery led Tech with 19 points, six rebounds and five assists on six-of-13 shooting. She also added two steals to round out an all-around solid game. Junior center Sasha Goodlett and freshman guard Tyaunna Marshall both contributed double-digit points in the losing effort, scoring 18 and 11, respectively.
Tech played well in the first half, shooting just over 55 percent from the floor and 37.5 percent from beyond the arc. The Jackets even led by 11 points late in the first half and went into the break with a seven-point lead but lacked momentum as Miami continued to eat at Tech’s lead. Tech dominated points in the paint and points off turnovers in the first half, besting the Hurricanes 26-12 and 18-6 in those categories, respectively.
The second half proved to be the Jackets’ undoing, as Tech saw their seven-point lead evaporate at the hands of a much sharper looking Miami team. The Hurricanes shot 50 percent from the floor and from three-point range in the second half as the Jackets’ shooting percentages fell to 41.7 percent from two and zero percent from downtown. Miami also took the second half advantage in points in the paint and points off turnovers, outscoring Tech 20-14 and 12-10, respectively.
Miami continued to capitalize on their second half adjustments and took the lead from the Jackets with 0:44 to go in the second half. It took a jumper by junior guard Mo Bennett with six seconds left for Tech to pull even and force overtime.
Overtime proved to be too much for Tech to overcome, as they were outscored 14-4 in extra time. Miami’s sophomore guard Stephanie Yderstrom nailed two three pointers to go along with teammate junior guard Shenise Johnson’s six-for-six free throw shooting to seal the game.
Despite Tech’s dominance in important statistics, Tech gave up 48.1 percent shooting from the floor and 42.9 percent from three-point land. Tech also sent Miami to the line 36 times, which Miami capitalized on, making 26 of those shots.
Tech looked to rebound against another ACC foe, Maryland, on Thursday at Alexander Memorial Stadium.