Women’s hoops loses ACC game

Coming into the weekend with a 13-game winning streak, Tech’s women’s basketball team was looking to improve their 4-0 ACC record for the season. The Jackets’ game at Duke on Friday Jan. 21 ended with a loss, ending the streak, but they were able to pick up a win on Sunday Jan. 23 though against Boston College with the home court advantage.
At Duke, Tech was unable to overcome their lowest shooting percentage of the year of 28.6 percent. Being outrebounded by the Blue Devils 45-32 certainly did not help the final outcome of 69-32.
Tech found its only lead against Duke a few minutes into the game when the team managed to go up 6-3. However Duke took the lead 7-6 10 minutes in and remained in possession of the lead for the rest of the game.
Sunday proved a much better day for the Jackets. Tech beat Boston College 67-54 extending their home record to 12-1. The team’s ability to bounce back after a tough game at Duke impressed their coach:
“It literally couldn’t have been any worse than it was [at Duke], so let’s just throw it away and start over, and come out after Boston College. I thought we did that. I thought we came out aggressive and attacking,” said head coach MaChelle Joseph.
The two teams were neck-and-neck at the start of the game, being tied at 15 only 10 minutes into the game. Tech slowly began to pull ahead after this to end the half with a 29-22.
Aggressive play continued through the second half. Steals were a key aspect of Tech’s success, keeping the ball in possession of the Jackets’ and points off Boston College’s scoreboard.
The Jackets totaled 15 steals for the game as they forced Boston College into 24 turnovers.
The second half showed great improvement in shooting percentages. The Jackets went from 31.4 percent to 57.1 percent between the two halves. Both halves of the Boston College game were improvements over the 28.6 shooting percentage at Duke.
The Jackets were able to achieve a 19-point lead with two and a half minutes left but finished the game with only a 13-point difference.
Senior guard Alex Montgomery truly shined on Sunday. Montgomery scored 15 points for the team and only committed one foul.

You could hear the support of the crowd when Montgomery shot two free throws late in the second half as they chanted her name. This was an impressive showing after Montgomery was only able to make two points in the game versus Duke, both coming off free throws.
Senior guard Deja Foster performed well on the court as well. Foster recorded seven of the Jacket’s 18 offensive rebounds.
Juniors guards Chelsea Regins and Mo Bennet both showed great resilience from the bench. Regins made nine points and four rebounds while Bennet tied her season high of 10 points. This was great improvement from the combined three points the two made against Duke.
Junior point guard Methra Walthour made a team best 16 points on Sunday. Freshman guard Frida Fogdemark and Freshman forward Tyaunna Marshall tied for the team best of six points against Duke.
Much of the team’s success against Boston College may be credited towards the distribution of playing time amongst players. Six athletes saw at least 20 minutes of play, and nine of 10 Jackets saw playing time.
The Jackets come off the weekend 17-5 overall 5-1 in league play. Tech will head to Blacksburg, VA on Thursday to face the Virginia Tech Hokies before traveling to Miami on Sunday to take on the Hurricanes.