Teixeira endows scholarship

Former all-star slugger for Tech and current stand-out in Major League Baseball Mark Teixeira established the Mark C. Teixeira Athletic Scholarship Fund at Georgia Tech last Wednesday. The half-million dollar scholarship endowment will fund an annual scholarship for a Tech baseball player.

“Tech has always been a special place for me, and I have always welcomed the opportunity to help out the baseball program in any way possible. I was very blessed to receive a scholarship,” said Mark Teixeira, Tech alum.

While Teixeira played for the Jackets from 1999 to 2001 he had a .409 batting average with 36 homers and 165 RBI during his three-year stint. He was led by the long-time coach Danny Hall.

Teixeira was also named the ACC Rookie of the Year in 1999, and won the Dick Howser Trophy in 2000 for being named the National Player of the Year

“The fact that he is going to endow a scholarship in his name for Georgia Tech baseball just shows the level of commitment and pride that he takes, not only in our program, but in Georgia Tech. We are very thankful that he has done this and appreciate the support that he has given our program throughout the years,” said Danny Hall, coach of the Jackets.

Furthermore, Teixeira was selected fifth in the 2001 draft. With multiple years in the majors for the Rangers, Braves and Yankees, he has won a couple of Silver Slugger and Golden Glove Awards.

“Danny, as you all know, is the winningest coach in Georgia Tech baseball history. He has continually put teams on the field from year to year that have the brought great pride to Georgia Tech and continues to be a real treasure – a guy that we love working with on a daily basis,” said Wayne Hogan, Associate Director of Athletics.