Volleyball drops to Miami, Florida State on the road

Tech’s volleyball team lost a pair of matches over the weekend in Florida to ACC teams Miami and Florida State. Against Miami, the Jackets played in a match up that went for the full five sets, losing 3-2.

Senior middle hitter Chrissy DeMichelis led the team with 18 kills. Fellow senior hitters Talisa Kellogg and Callie Miller had 17 and 16 kills, respectively.

“We came out and played hard, but we didn’t quite have the outcome that we had hoped for,” said senior Allie Niekamp, the Tech starting setter.

Senior libero Michelle Kandell led the team with 32 digs. Niekamp was second to Kandell with 17 digs.

After Tech lost the first set 25-15, they were able to rebound and take the next two sets. But the Jackets were unable to reel in the match, and dropped the next two sets, and along with it, the match.

The Jackets went down 3-1 in a matchup against FSU. After winning the first set, Tech was unable to keep up with the Seminoles’ offense. The crucial difference in the game became Tech’s offensive errors.

DeMichelis led the team with 19 kills. Kellogg was the only other Jacket to hit double digit kills with 10. However, Miller was able to pick up 9 kills. Kandell was the only Jacket to rack up double digit digs with 15. The team as a whole accumulated 44.

DeMichelis, Kellogg and Miller were able to pick up double-digit points, with DeMichelis pulling in 19 and the latter two scoring 10.

“FSU and Miami are tough defensive teams and kept the ball alive. We didn’t have our best performance,” Niekamp said.

The Jackets season winds down with three in-conference matches against Boston College, Maryland and Clemson. With the end of the season, the Jackets will lose five of their seniors.