TECH SPORTS FILE

Women’s tennis

The women’s tennis team started the season on a high note with wins over UGA players in the Georgia Tech Invitational. The women’s team returns four players from last year’s ITA National Indoors Championship team and brings in four of the top recruits in the country. The Jackets are participating in the ITA National Individuals this week in California where senior Amanda McDowell is the third seeded player in the singles draw.

Volleyball

Georgia Tech 0, Virginia Tech 3

The Volleyball team beat the preseason ACC favorite two weeks ago when they topped Clemson, but they lost to Virginia Tech the following weekend. The Jackets are led by senior libero Michelle Kandell with 208 digs, senior middle hitter Callie Miller with 131 kills and senior outside hitter Talisa Kellogg with 129 kills. The Jackets hope to follow up on their success this weekend when they play Miami and Florida State at home.

Swimming and Diving

The Jackets’ swimming and diving team kicked off the season with wins at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Florida. Both men and women competed against FAU, while the women also defeated Florida Gulf Coast at the same meet. The Jackets will compete against Clemson this weekend in South Carolina and Florida State next weekend.

Cross Country

Third /Fourth Tennessee Inviational

Tech’s men’s cross country team has had mixed results in tournaments this year. The Jackets placed third at the Tennessee Invitational, while they finished seventeenth at the Roy Griak Invitational this past weekend. Likewise, the women finished fourth at Tennessee, but fourteenth at the Roy Griak Invitational.

Golf

Seventh Golfweek Preview Invitational

The No. 15 Yellow Jackets participated in the Golfweek Preview Invitational this past weekend. Tech finished seventh in the event and senior Cameron Tringale and junior Chesson Hadley finished in the top 20. The Jackets will participate in the Brickyard Intercollegiate in Macon, Georgia on October 11.