Sports Shorts

Rainbow Warriors vistit Tech for preparation

The University of Hawaii football used Rose Bowl Field at Russ Chandler Stadium, the home of Georgia Tech’s Baseball team on Wednesday and Thursday to prepare for their opening game at the University of Florida, which will take place on Saturday. Because of the time change between Hawaii and the east coast, the Rainbow Warriors often have to arrive in the area of an away game days ahead of time to adjust to the time change.

There is a connection between Hawaii and Georgia Tech as Paul Johnson, the new head football coach, use to work at the University of Hawaii as an assistant coach.

Two linemen named to pre-season list

Offensive lineman Andrew Gardner and defensive lineman Vance Walker were both named to the Rotary Lombardi Trophy pre-season watch list. The Rotary Lombardi Trophy is awarded to the top lineman or linebacker every year.

The Trophy is named after legendary coach Vince Lombardi and the Rotary Club, whose Houston brach first presented the award in 1970 to Jim Stillwagon of Ohio State.

Last year the trophy was awarded to Louisiana State University defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey. Orlando Pace was the only player to win the award twice when he did so in 1995 and 1996 as an Ohio State Buckeye. The award is given out in early December.