Sports Shorts & by the Numbers

Dietrich, McGuire receive honors

Derek Dietrich and Deck McGuire were honored as freshman. Dietrich was named the Pro-Line Athletic National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Freshman Hitter of the Year. Dietrich started 62 games at shortstop for the Jackets and led the team with 66 RBIs.

Collegiate Baseball also honored Dietrich as well as teammate Deck McGuire. Both were named to the Freshman All-America team. McGuire led the Jackets with an 8-1 record and had a 3.46 ERA in 78 innings. The two are among the 15 Tech players named freshman All-Americans.

Talisa Kellogg wins Bronze on US volleyball team

Rising senior Talisa Kellogg helped the USA A2 team win a Bronze medal at the USA Adult Open Championships. The USA A2 Red team won the gold medal over the University of Washington’s Collegiate team at the Georgia World Congress Center.

The blue team had several standout collegiate players including Kellogg, Maria Taylor of UGA, Kelsey Bowers and Kristy Jaeckel of Florida and Elena Martinez and Brittnee Cooper of LSU were among the players from the southeast. Jerritt Elliot of Texas was the head coach of the blue team and Cathy George of Michigan State coached the red team. Ben Bodipo-Memba, one of Tech’s assistant coaches, was also an assistant on the Red Team’s staff.

6

The number of errors Tech committed on the field against UGA in the regional final in Athens. The Jackets, going into that game were the only team to have not committed an error up to that point.

26

Georgia scored 26 runs against Tech in two games in the NCAA tournament after scoring just eight runs in the three regular season games against the Jackets. UGA also held Tech to six runs in the two games-with all of the runs coming in the second game.

7

Tech athletes that will participate in the NCAA Track and Field Championships at Drake University in Iowa. For the women, Kimery Hern, Shantia Moss and Jacqua Williams will participate. For the men, Steve Marcell, Andy Powlen, James Lemons II and Alphonso Jordan will take part.

3

Number of top-three finishes the Jackets had at the NCAA Regionals. Sophomore Steve Marcell finished third in the men’s shot put with a distance of 61 feet. Sophomore Alphonso Jordan finished second in the men’s triple jump with a personal best distance of 52 feet, 9.5 inches. Senior Shantia Moss finished third in the women’s 100-meter hurdles.

45

Number of individual wins by Amanda McDowell during the 2007-08 season. Tech’s first women’s singles title winner in school history, McDowell took over the distinction in the semi-finals of the NCAA singles tournament with a win over Auburn’s Fani Chifchieva for her 44th victory and Baylor’s Zuzana Zemenova for the 45th.