Women’s tennis split matches

Tech played four top-20 ranked teams over the past few weeks, three of which were away matches. The only match of the four to be played at home was against No. 20 Vanderbilt on March 5.

Vanderbilt came out on top 4-3 on a night in which sophomore Amanda McDowell and senior Kristi Miller were unable to finish off the match with wins at position No. 1 and No. 2. Freshmen Maya Johansson and Noelle Hickey were the only Tech players to win their respective singles matches.

The women’s team was scheduled to have a match against Florida State that Friday, but weather conditions in Tallahassee forced the match to be postponed until April 2.

On March 9, the Jackets faced No. 11 Miami Hurricanes and came out on top, 6-1. The girls swept all three doubles matches and every singles match, except for the No. 1 position where Miami’s Laura Vallverdu overtook Miller in the third set in a particularly close match.

After a two week break, the team traveled to North Carolina this past Friday to take on the No. 13 Tar Heels. Tech won 5-2 over the Tar Heels, ending their five-match win streak and notching their first victory in Chapel Hill since 1998. Junior Christy Striplin gave Tech the win with the match she won over North Carolina’s Laura Reichert.

The day after, this past Saturday, the women’s team traveled to Durham to take on No. 9 Duke. The Blue Devils knocked off Tech 4-3 after sweeping doubles, and Duke’s Ellah Nze won the match’s deciding team point over McDowell.

The women return home this weekend for more ACC play as Tech plays NC State on Saturday and Wake Forest on Sunday. They then travel to Florida State to make up the match that was originally cancelled. It is their last road game of the season, sandwiched in between six conference games at home.

Tech is currently tied with North Carolina for third place in the ACC Conference standings with Duke and Wake Forest ahead of them with four conference wins each. Tech is currently 3-1 in conference.