Baseball takes three from VT

The Jackets opened up ACC play with a sweep of Virginia Tech.

Tech cruised to a blowout victory in the first game, winning 14-1. Derek Dietrich, who hit the ball over the fence twice during the game, paced the offense. David Duncan pitched eight innings with three strikeouts.

The Jackets loaded the bases in the third inning. Chris House was first to hit and lined up the middle to get the offensive output going. Then, Jeff Rowland bunted to bring the runner into scoring position. Charlie Blackmon repeated the play with another bunt single. With the bases loaded and no outs, Plagman was hit by a pitch to score a run. Dietrich responded by driving deep for a grand slam that went beyond the left field fence. Long continued the rally with an infield blooper. Jason Haniger was also hit by the pitch preceding a RBI-double by House.

In the seventh, the Jackets provided the pitcher more insurance runs. House grounded the ball up the middle for a base hit and after Blackmon was hit by the pitch and Plagman walked, Feltes crushed the ball for a two-RBI double. In similar fashion, Dietrich also hit the ball over the centerfield fence for a two-run homer. Curtis Dupart pinched hit in the eighth to top off the scoring with a RBI base-hit.

The Jackets came back for another strong showing in the second game, winning 6-4. In the second, Haniger connected with a ball that went over the right-field fence for another home run.

In the third, House walked after two successful bunts by Jay Dantzler and Blackmon. Then, Dietrich hit a blooper to bring in two runners.

In addition, Dantzler crushed the ball for a home run right before Feltes, who launched the ball beyond the centerfield fence for the second homer of the fifth inning.

Hicks saved the game and ended a last-minute rally by the opposition with a pitch over the plate for the final strike-out of the game.

The Jackets swept the Hokies in a tight match-up, triumphing 2-1. Zach Von Tersch gave a strong showing on the mound.

The right-hander only gave up one earned run and had six strikeouts over seven innings. The Jackets’ offense won the game with a homer by Feltes in the second and a run scored by House in the following inning.