Swim team tops Vandy, Emory

The Tech Swimming and Diving team finished up their season against Emory and Vanderbilt last Saturday. The men competed against just Emory, doubling their score and cruising to a 182-91 victory. The women faced both Emory and Vanderbilt and won by even larger margins of victory, topping the Commodores 193-88. They defeated the Golden Eagles 167-78.

Though many of the swimmers accomplished several feats on the last day of the season, no one stood out as much as senior Stephanie England breaking a school record, finishing with 306.75 points in the one-meter diving event.

Sophomore Ryann Kopacka won two events. The team of Kopacka, sophomore Lisa Pucci, freshman Christine Chuang and sophomore Agatha Kwasnik participated in the 200-yard medley relay. They bested their opponents in a time of 1:48.21. Kopacka was also able to get a win in the 100-yard back stroke, winning in a time of 58.82.

The male team that opened the event, made up of freshman Matt Tang, junior Mickey Malul, junior Noah Copeland and junior Mauricio Sousa, won their race in a time of 1:32.24.

Tang went on to be one of three Jackets to sweep the 200-yard freestyle race, placing second in the race with a time of 1:44.40. Freshman Travis Wagner finished first with 1:42.27 and senior Onur Uras finished third with 1:45.36.

Copeland later raced in the 50-yard freestyle, another sweep by the Tech team. Copeland finished third with a time of 21.06, while Sousa and senior Jacob Kwasnik finished first and second, respectively. Sousa won with a time of 20.69 and Kwasnik won with a time of 20.96.

Sousa was one of the most successful swimmers of the day, not only winning those two events, but also taking the 100-free race, finishing with a time 47.00.

Kwasnik and Garrett Robberson finished off the sweep of the race, finishing with a 47.24 and a 47.35, respectively.

Freshman Thea Kromer added to the team’s success by winning the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 1:09.07. Junior Andy Miller won the same event on the men’s side, winning a time of 58.96.

Freshman Ralph Long was able to contribute to his team’s great success, coming out on top in the 200-yard fly with a time of 1:53.77.

Sophomore Jing Li was able to take the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:54.95. Her teammate sophomore Taylor Flynn was able to follow up with a 1:55.73.

The men gathered another sweep in the 100-yard backstroke with sophomore Johnny Hagaman, sophomore Way Joe Lee and freshman Kyle Diedrich. They finished with a times of 51.41, 52.18 and 53.48, respectively.

Stowe and freshman Katie Bond took first and second in the 100-yard free race, finishing with a time of 10:10.18 and 10:22.20.

On the diving portion of the competition, the men and women’s team achieved a great amount of success. Sophomore Hannah Krimm won her event, the women’s three-meter diving event, with a score of 318.29. Her teammate competing in the male portion of the event, senior Michael Bennett, also won the three-meter springboard with a score of 326.40.

While the regular season may be over, Tech still has the ACC Championships to look forward to. Unlike other years, the event will be held at the Aquatic Center.

The women have the first chance to host the event, holding the conference championship from Feb. 20 to 23. The next weekend, the men will be hosting its conference foes from Feb.27 to March 1.

They both close out the season at the end of March, where some will travel to the NCAA championship. The women’s swimming team travels to Columbus, Ohio on March 20 and the men’s go to Federal Way, Wash. from March 27-29.