Football sends five to Senior Bowl

Tech is sending five players to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. They are sending the second most players to the game, second only to USC.

Tashard Choice, Darrell Robertson, Durant Brooks, Philip Wheeler and Gary Guyton were all invited to the event. Guyton made it onto the roster just this week. They are all among the top 100 NFL prospects.

The game regularly features the best seniors in the nation competing in college football’s own version of the All-Star game leading up to the draft. For many, it’s the last opportunity to impress scouts and to improve their positions after the bowl season.

Many of its players are chosen highly in the NFL, with 12 of the participants of the Senior Bowl being selected in the first round of last year’s draft.

Guyton made the roster after participating in the East-West Shrine Game in Houston, Texas last week.

Brooks caps off a season in which he received the highest honor a punter can get, the Ray Guy Award. Brooks will not only be performing punting duties, but being the holder for kicks. In an ironic twist of events, Brooks will be holding kicks for Georgia’s kicker Brandon Coutu during the game.

The game is set to kick off from Mobile’s Ladd-Peebles Stadium at 3 p.m. tomorrow. The two teams are coached by current NFL coaches. Mike Nolan, current head coach for the San Francisco 49ers, coaches the South while Lane Kiffin, current head coach for the Oakland Raiders, coaches the North.

Evaluating the current players on the team, Paul Johnson is nearing one of the biggest dates of the offseason: Signing Day. On Feb. 6, Johnson will announce his first draft class. While he has lost some of the recruits originally sought to come, he has also added some of his own.