BoR deceitful, Junior’s invaluable

BoR deceitful with fee increase

As a graduating senior at Tech, tuition and fee increases largely don’t affect me anymore. I also recognize the budget constraints and difficulties of the State of Georgia. Even so, the deceitful manner in which the BoR raised fees and tuition is insulting. Tuition is only increasing by three percent, but a $350 fee increase on top of that (at Tech at least) equates to an effective tuition increase of more than 12 percent.
These fees go toward “academic excellence”…isn’t that what tuition is for? If it walks like a tuition increase, quacks like a tuition increase and looks like a tuition increase, it ought to be called a tuition increase. So, next time tuition needs to be increased, please call it what it actually is. We’re still students, and we’re still learning, but we can definitely hold our own when it comes to elementary mathematics.

Matthew Redmond
Fourth-year ME

Medical advice should come from doctor

I find it horrifying that a student at our Institution is offering medical advice in a column [“Medication” printed April 15]. Simply hopping on the “we are over-medicated” bandwagon without any facts or research combined with vague half truths about Albert Einstein is a horrible disservice to everyone who reads it. Many take medication because they actually do need it, and discussed the matter with their DOCTOR, not the editor of the Technique. Perhaps a more relevant article would have been about the issue of blatant abuse and misuse of the same drugs discussed in the article by Tech’s own students. Please do not use the Technique to push your own anti prescription medication agenda. It is offensive to the many people who do actually have a need to take such drugs.

Josephine Nord
MGT ‘10

Junior’s an invaluable part of Tech

I attended Tech from June 1977 through September 1982. During that time I ate breakfast at Junior’s 5+ days a week. I was a dedicated user of the $25 dollars worth of food for $22 chit book.
I can safely say that had it not been for Junior’s, I would not have graduated. There were many days, when that breakfast for $2.08 was my only full meal of the day. At the end of a school quarter, Tommy would let me continue to eat on credit—I just had to pay him back when I got paid.
In later years, Tommy and I talked about the fact that he could no longer extend credit—student’s stopped paying him back. In my day, when the list of non-payers went up on the wall, simple peer pressure forced them to repay Tommy. More’s the pity that that changed.
I loved the old counter service in the “original place” on North Avenue. I really didn’t like set-up when they moved to Engineer’s Bookstore or later to Bradley—but it was better than nothing.
The spirit of Tommy’s and Junior’s went far beyond the food that was served. Tommy—and his staff—had true affection for the students that they served. I graduated in 1982. In 1999, I proposed to my wife (ME ‘83). Tommy saw Anne’s engagement ring before she did.
Two years ago, we attended the ANAK Centennial dinner. One of the best aspects was that Tommy and his wife were there.
All in all, Junior’s had a good run and I hope Tommy has a great retirement. However, I will always regret that I can no longer get a “French Strip, single country on the side, hold the dust.”

Douglas Fuller
ISyE ‘82