Benefits of introducing more arts to campus

Photo courtesy of Hasit Dewan

Recently, the Office of the Arts, a new campus initiative opened up. The office’s main goal is to expose students to the arts. As someone with an intense passion for the arts, I’m thrilled.

As students of the Georgia Institute of Technology, I think we sometimes tend to focus too much on the “technology” aspect. Now, I’m not saying that this isn’t important, but rather, that we sometimes lose sight of the bigger picture. We get so engrossed in learning about thermodynamics and digital signals that we fail to appreciate the other spheres of academic life, most notably the liberal arts.

A good understanding of, and appreciation for the arts provides a more rounded perspective on issues. The arts allows for more complex and deep thinking regarding various problems. Additionally, having an exposure to the varied and fluid concepts present in more artistic arenas helps people become more open-minded and accepting.

The arts can serve as an amazing outlet for stress relief, especially from the hectic Tech lifestyle. Throughout my own life, I have sought refuge in music during times I was feeling very stressed out. The expression that music, and for that matter, all other art forms, helps focus emotions into a single focal point. Concentrating upon this point has alleviated my own stress countless times in my life.

The Center of the Arts is one of the best things that could have happened. By creating a program whose sole focus is to unite the arts community and better integrate it into the current campus culture than it is now, will have resounding effects all around. Students will become more aware of artistic events occurring around campus and Atlanta, allowing for heavier campus involvement. This central point will help consolidate the multitude of artistic resources into a single and accessible point, thus helping an even greater proportion of people gain access.

I understand this new center won’t revolutionize the campus culture — it may even have a negligible effect. However, it’s certainly a step in the right direction. The administration is slowly introducing more arts into the campus community, and in doing so will hopefully help us become more well-rounded students.