It’s time to get a little bit LOST

Photo by Brenda Lin

Being a senior at Tech on the verge of graduating in less than a month, I have recently had a lot of time to look back and reflect on my time at the institute. And what I found may surprise some people.

The friends I have made, the courses I have struggled through, the memories I will have in my old age; all of them pale in comparison to the greatest thing that happened to me at Tech. It happened during the first semester of my freshman year, and I have been a changed man ever since. That’s right people. I’m talking about an island. I’m talking about a doctor and a criminal and a con man. I’m talking about “LOST.”

And so, dear reader, in my final article as a student at Tech, let me share with you just how this ABC original drama rocked my freaking world.

First I’m going to tell you about the characters. Then I’m going to sweeten the deal and tell you about the plot. Then I’m going to cap it all off with a well-worded description of the score, followed by a practically poetic tribute to the mise-en-scène and general mythology of the show. Seatbelts, everyone.

First we meet Jack, protagonist extraordinaire. Jack is a promising young surgeon with daddy issues whose day just got ruined when his commercial flight crashed landed on a seemingly deserted tropical island, stranding him and forty other passengers on a beach with no foreseeable chance of rescue. Enter Kate, love interest extraordinaire on the run for past crimes, Sawyer, con man and general grumpy wiseass, Jin and Sun, Korean couple on the verge of ending their once loving marriage, and of course Hurley, Charlie, Claire, Michael, Sayid, Boone, Shannon, Walt, Locke, Desmond, Juliet, Ben, Ana Lucia, Libby, Eco, Rose, Bernard and Vincent, to name a few. Watch as they fight to survive, live together, die alone, fall in love and altogether lose themselves in the absolute insanity of the island.

Speaking of which, the island is a confusing yet beautiful place and also there is a polar bear and a secret wheel and that’s all you really need to know.

Remember when I told you the score was good? Well I’m listening to it right now. 11 years after the pilot episode debuted and the music still holds up as one of the most memorable and masterful compilations in television history, able to take viewers through the entire range of human emotion. It’s good music, okay?

In short, some people have vampire slayers and some people have hospital wards, but I have a mysterious and untraceable island in the South Pacific, and what an island it is. Television is something that is important to me, and “LOST” has become the standard by which I measure television.

So one of these days, weirdly persistent and hopefully still interested reader, I invite you to take a chance on this show and lose yourself. You better believe that pun was intended.