Consensus: Humans versus Zombies

For some, this highly loathed event means nothing but an overabundance of constant annoyances that do nothing besides block doors and turn walkways into a war zones.

For others, this real-life game of cat and mouse is the highlight of their year. They are given the opportunity to put their cunning and wit to the test, all while surviving the advancing apocalypse.

Love it or hate it, the entire Human vs. Zombies (HvZ) event is here to stay. First, it is hugely popular among a majority of students, and growing each year. Second, and more importantly, HvZ operates on an organizational model that should serve as an inspiration for a majority of clubs and organizations on campus.

The sheer magnitude of HvZ is a daunting task cut down to size through the use of technology. This highly efficient grass-roots organization successfully micromanages more than 500 competitors  through a detailed database on their personal website that tracks the “kill count” of each individual member while providing them with numerous rewards during play. Most clubs can barely keep track of just a few members.

Poor communication, the bane of most clubs, has also been successfully avoided. The HvZ website addresses this problem by providing players with a constant stream of up-to-date information. Impressively enough, groups of humans and zombies can come together in their exclusive chat rooms and plan their next moves, all while being fed information from the game administrators via email.

The game is an on-campus achievement in and of itself. It demands teamwork among strangers, promotes ingenuity as a whole and garners participation like no other club on campus.

These different forms of creativity, strategy and innovation make up the foundation of what it means to be a student at Tech.