Student behavior appropriate for game

To the fellow Tech student who attended the Clemson game with her brother, what did you expect would happen when you brought a fan of the opposing team into the student section? Did you honestly expect our students to be welcoming to a representative of one of our biggest rivals, especially at Homecoming? If you walk into any student section wearing the other team’s colors, you’re making yourself a target and asking for attention. If you don’t want or can’t handle the attention that comes from boldly supporting your team, then wear neutral colors and quietly cheer for your team.

Besides the fact that your brother was in the student section when guest tickets were not available for the Clemson game and a valid BuzzCard is required to enter, it’s the Tech student section. We pride ourselves on being the most enthusiastic and spirited section in the stadium. So yeah, if someone detracts from that by rooting for the other team or staining the sea of old gold with an opponent’s colors, they will be subjected to some good heckling.

Last year, I went to the game in Blacksburg as I have a couple friends that attend VT, and I sat with them in their student section. As a member of the opposing fan base, I was invading their turf and fully expected to be jeered and yelled at. While tailgating, the trash talk was mostly friendly sparring, but as we entered the stadium and the air intensified, so did the trash talk. It didn’t get too out of hand so I tolerated it. Not a big deal.

Trash talking between players, coaches, and fans has always been part of sports. Despite our athletic association’s efforts, it will continue to be seen at football games and other events. Have you not heard the laughter and sarcastic cheer when the Gold Standard message is displayed each game? We respect the game and those who participate, but we will still yell at the refs and deride opposing players. It’s part of the college football experience and tradition. I’m sorry you and your brother had a bad experience during what turned out to be an awesome game. But I can’t imagine what you’d think if you went to a school in the SEC where college football is even bigger and more intense!

Kyle Lunsford

Fifth-year EE