Scholars funded by Stamps

Photo by Tyler Meuter

The Stamps Family Charitable Foundation, led by Penny and E. Roe Stamps, recently doubled its annual grant so that all of the approximately 40 freshmen President’s Scholars could receive the same opportunities as Stamps Leadership Scholars.

Stamps Leadership Scholars are the top 10–12 students in the President’s Scholar Program, and their scholarship includes full funding for cost of attendance for four years, a laptop, a non-profit internship, research opportunities and various enrichment opportunities, including outdoor leadership programs and at least one international experience.

Now, thanks to the Stamps’ increased contribution, all 40 President’s Scholars will enjoy the same scholarship package.

To honor the Stamps generous gifts, the President’s Scholar Program will be renamed the Stamps President’s Scholar Program.

In 2006, Penny and Roe Stamps created merit scholarships for their alma maters, Tech and the University of Michigan.

Since they had already attained personal goals of pursuing careers, the couple wanted to utilize their success to give back to the community with a focus on education.

Since 2006, The Stamps family have expanded the merit scholarship program to over three dozen partner universities. The scholarship aims to gives hard working, talented students an educational boost, while offering unique experiences.

All scholarship recipients have access to a large network of fellow Stamps Scholars across the country and an annual national convention hosted every year at one of the partner university.

Stamps Scholars must also participate in several community service projects annually, including this year’s first ever Stamps National Day of Service on the April 16. While multiple other groups from other universities will participate, Tech’s group of scholars will work with the Atlanta Community Food Bank, specifically in its community garden.

Penny and Roe Stamps, who currently reside in Key Largo, Florida, also devote their time and resources to many Florida-based organizations.

Roe Stamps is an Industrial Engineering graduate of Georgia Tech (Class of 1967) and his wife, Penny, is graduate of University of Michigan’s School of Art and Design. In 2012, the school was named after her.

Tech currently matches each grant from the Stamps Foundation with its own funding.

Tech will continue working to fully endow all President’s Scholarships by expanding their endowment, offsetting the funding from Tech’s resources.

“Penny and I are thrilled to make this commitment to the future of a truly outstanding program,” said Roe Stamps in a statement to Tech Communications. “And we have been fortunate to partner with Georgia Tech in providing funding every year. It is our hope that others will come forward and invest in permanent endowments to secure the Institute’s investment in perpetuity.”

“We have seen firsthand how these scholarships change the lives of students, families and communities. It is an investment worth making,” Penny Stamps said.

Tech’s President’s Scholarship was established in 1981.