InVenture prize finalists prepare for competition

On Feb. 25, the finalists of the InVenture Prize showed displayed their project ideas in front of a panel of judges for a mock introduction of their ideas in the East Library Commons. The competition consists of six Tech student groups who have presented their own products that are intended to be capable of thriving in an entrepreneurial market.

The finalists’ products include the Better Walk Crutch, an revamped version of the underarm crutch, the Enlighten Music Trainer, LED technology that teaches how to play guitar, the Safi Choo, a modified mobile toilet, the Sleepwell Sleepwear by Lights Out, a shirt for reducing sleep apnea symptoms, the Sucette Smart Soother, a modified pacifier and the Upsadazy, stroller that can go up stairs.

During the mock introductions, the finalists received commentary from the panel about their speaking and product details, which is intended to enhance the presentation of their products during the actual InVenture Prize event.

During the event, Director of Undergraduate Research and Student Innovation, Christopher Reaves spoke that the candidates received valuable feedback.

“It’s more about simplifying and trying to be genuine and authentic. We want them to know this is not a classroom exercise and that this is reality. We simply are making sure they focus on what the problem is, how they solved it, how their product is unique and what is out there, and what market their after, and the point is to sharpen those points,” Reaves said.

Reaves believes that the InVenture Prize is beneficial outlet for aspiring inventors and entrepreneurs, and with Tech, he acknowledges that students have a great opportunities for promoting their products.

“InVenture prize is trying to help students develop their own ideas,” Reaves said.

Reaves stressed that it was this development of leaders in industry that was a cornerstone of the InVenture prize.

“We do a great job at Georgia Tech through graduating a lot of great employees, and we want to graduate a lot of great employers, as well. That is partly what the InVenture Prize is about,” Reaves said. “It is also about creating student passion and letting them know that there is an outlet of ideas. Georgia Tech is there to help you develop your ideas and help you make them a reality.”

Despite the improvements that could be made to the product introductions, Reaves states that the finalists have done well to come this far into the competition.

Because the panel judges gave instructions and advice on how to improve their product presentation, Reaves said that the finalists still have more efforts to make on their ideas, and their discussions with the panel should help them do well on the day of the competition.

“I felt like the presentations were great,” Reaves said. “They have gone through the preliminaries to the city finals to practice and now, so I felt like the presentations were very good. Of course, they have some work to do with all of feedback that they got.