PTS launched new parking permit system, “The Drivers Seat”

At the end of last year, Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) introduced a online portal for students, faculty and staff to purchase parking permits called The Driver’s Seat at driverseat.gatech.edu.

This new online system allows any customer with a Tech username and password to be able to purchase their permit online, to begin parking immediately using their BuzzCard access and to receive their physical permit later by mail. Permits are mailed on the day of purchase or the next business day and must be displayed within seven days of purchase in order for the permit holder to avoid getting a ticket on campus.

The following types of permits are available through the new online system: Annual Individual, Annual Carpool, Evening/Weekend, Motorcycle and SmartPark. These permits, except for SmartPark, will be sold year-round at prorated prices.

“There was a very high demand for customers to be able to purchase parking permits online at any time during the year,” said Torise Battle Young, Communications Officer in PTS.

This high demand mainly came from those people who may have missed the online permit registration system in the spring so that they would then have to come to the PTS office in person in order to purchase a permit.

The Driver’s Seat also allows anyone to manage their vehicle information on their parking permit account, appeal and pay citations, as well as view any notices sent to them from PTS.

“I think it’s a great idea; it eases the stress of worrying about if you can get your preferred lot when you’re looking to get a pass. Now you can just check online,” said Reuben Coopwood, fourth-year BA major.

PTS is hoping to add more features such as wait lists for parking areas and early permit sales for the upcoming academic year.

According to PTS, 41 percent of their parking permit sales since the site’s launch in December have come from The Driver’s Seat. They’re expecting this number to grow with time and become the preferred way permits are purchased.