Sculptures arrive on Tech campus

This summer, multiple outdoor art installations were placed around campus as part of a traveling outdoor sculpture exhibit that is on loan to Tech. “Engineered Art: An International Sculptures Exhibit at Georgia Tech” is a 15 piece international exhibit by various artists . It is part of the Arts@Tech initiative to enhance the Tech community by fostering programs and events spanning a robust selection of artistic outlets.

“It coincided with an initiative of the arts that grew out of the arts of Georgia Tech concept that led to the Art Crawl and Arts Festival and the community wanted to begin this type of activity so it was perfect timing,” said Dr. Rafael L. Bras, Georgia Tech Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs.

According to Dr. Bras the suggestion came from alumni Kirk Landon for the exhibit which, managed by internationally acclaimed curator and sculptor John Henry, had traveled to other locations before Tech. This was supported by The Council of the Arts comprised of faculty and staff from a variety of schools and departments. Individual sculptures placement was determined by joint efforts between the Council working with the Office of Capital Planning and Space Management.

“The placement of the sculptures was based on the desire to have high visibility, with advice and input from senior leadership at Georgia Tech and the curator of the exhibit sculptor John Henry. Because of the strong desire to expose as many students, faculty and staff to the artwork, they were placed in main pedestrian corridors and pathways,” said Howard Wertheimer, Director of Capital Planning and Space Management.

With the sculptures being on loan, Tech does not own any of the sculptures, so there is not much cost involved besides transporting them to and setting them up on campus. The exhibition is free and open to the public and will be on display around campus for the next year, but administration hopes that an agreement will be reached to extend that time.

In response to there not being much student opinion being taken in the decisions to bring this exhibit to campus. “There was student input in the council of the arts, but the curator’s prerogative and the planning office had to decide what was feasible,” Bras explained.

Currently 12 of the 15 sculptures have been placed, with three remaining pieces arriving later this month or early July. Members of the Arts Council are in the process of developing interpretive plaques including the possibility of using augmented reality technologies to help engage campus in the artwork.