New Midtown bike lanes planned

Photo by Andrew Saulters

Midtown Alliance and the city of Atlanta have partnered in the construction of new bicycle lanes along 10th St. from Monroe Dr. to Charles Allen Dr., Juniper St. from 14th St. to Ponce de Leon Avenue, and Piedmont Avenue.

With a $3.4 million backing this project from the Atlanta Regional Commission, the purpose of the new bicycle lanes is to bring safer and higher quality biking facilities around the Midtown Atlanta area.

“…some quick paths along the campus could come in handy.”

“Essentially, the community wanted more bicycling facilities throughout Midtown, so its not any one person or entity that demands for more bicycling facilities,” said Dan Hourigan, Program Director of Midtown Alliance Atlanta. “[The] Bike lanes will provide Tech students with safer options to bike to and from campus or to and from Piedmont Park, or maybe to places that they want to visit like restaurants or tourist destinations.”

The need for these bike lanes stems from members living around Midtown.

“Essentialy, the community wanted more bicyclng facitilites throughout Midtown, and that goes, so its not any one person or entity that demands for more bicycling facilities. Also, this is a national trend as well,” Hourigan said.

Some students find the new bicycle lanes as a way to increase safety for Tech students who frequently bike in the Atlanta area. Second-year BME major Jeremy Allen, a student who fell victim to a hit and run while riding his bike near the road last semester.
“Because we are yelled at by the drivers on the road but we don’t want to fly through pedestrians on the sidewalk, some quick paths along the campus could come in handy,” Allen said.

The new bicycle lanes are expected to be completed in the coming weeks for public use.