Tech celebrates 100 years of health services

[media-credit id=15 align=”aligncenter” width=”580″][/media-credit]“The original hospital did not have the imposing presence of many of the buildings you see here today, but it does have a history behind it that is symbolic of the Georgia Tech way,” said Institute  President G.P. Bud Peterson in his commemorative speech for the 100th anniversary.

Today, what is now known as the Edward Roe Stamps III Health Services ranks sixth in collegiate health services, according to Princeton Review.

“As I have told my staff, number six means we don’t have much farther to go to be the number one college health service in the country,” said Gregory Moore, Senior Director of Health Services. “I promise you, that is where we are going. Number one.”

Originally founded due to the death of a student from unavailability of medical care, the first Tech hospital was created in 1911. Since then, it has seen large improvements in all areas, such as the ready availability of the health center, the extensive network of specialty doctors and the recent digitalization of all student records, lab results and communications systems.

Health Educator Michelle Cohen, however, believes the people of Stamps Health Services are the leading characteristic.

“Stamps Health Services staff members are committed to keeping our students healthy to support their success,” Cohen said.

Though no set plans have been made for the next 100 years at Tech, health services has several upcoming projects lined up to serve the student body more capably, possibly including a dental practitioner, a more standardized pharmacy, a continual expansion of health education through the newly acquired dietician and others.

“In addition, we are building teams [of specialized doctors] to address [student] issues that are multifactorial, so we can discover them and treat them right away,” Moore said.

At the root of these advancements, however, lie many principles of the Stamps Health Services.

“When health is absent, wisdom cannot reveal itself, art cannot become manifest, strength cannot fight, wealth becomes meaningless and intelligence cannot be applied,” Moore said, a quote from the physician of Alexander the Great’s physician. “As we enter the next 100 years, it is wise to keep these words in mind. Keeping our students healthy will allow them to get the very most out of a Georgia Tech education.”

“As we celebrate our heritage, we look forward to continue the legacy of service and partnership with other members of the Georiga Tech community,” Peterson said. “[We will] continue to provide outstanding health services to all of our students, faculty, and staff here at Tech.”