CoE Dean finalists announced

Over the past two weeks, finalists for the position of Dean of the College of Engineering (CoE) visited campus to present their vision for the program to members of the Tech community. A search committee created by the Provost Rafael Bras in Aug. 2010 narrowed the list of candidates to four individuals, two of whom are current Institute school chairs—Gary May, chair of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and William Wepfer, the chair of the School of Mechanical Engineering.

Both May and Wepfer supported the creation of the Burdell Center, a new facility on campus that would provide the opportunity to have interdisciplinary capstone design courses and also house the student competition teams. Both also spoke about declining state funding over the past decade and how that has resulted in Tech having to secure funding from alumni and seek more meaningful partnerships with industry and other academic institutions for grants.

The two external candidates for the position include Mark Barteau, the chair of the School of Chemical Engineering at the University of Delaware and Dennis Assanis, the director of the Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute (MMPEI) at the University of Michigan.

Barteau was scheduled to make his presentation on April 14. In addition to serving as chair, Barteau is the senior vice provost for research and strategic initiatives at Delaware. In this role, he supervised six interdisciplinary centers and institutes and helped plan for Delaware’s new engineering building.

Finally, Assanis will make his presentation on April 26 at 11 a.m. at the Global Learning Center. A former chair of the school of mechanical engineering at Michigan, Assanis helped create a more diverse faculty.

The candidates’ presentations may be viewed online at www.provost.gatech.edu. Viewers may also submit feedback about each of the candidates on through that website.