Health center to undergo renovations

The Stamps Health Center will undergo a series of renovations in the upcoming months to accommodate more patients and improve the quality of care. Among other things, the primary care clinics will be remodeled, the number of exam rooms will be increased and the pharmacy will be made larger to offer more products and services. Work on these projects will begin in as little as three weeks and will continue in phases until the beginning of the Fall semester.
As a result of the project, the front desk will be made smaller and more customer friendly, allowing the pharmacy to be relocated behind where it currently stands. A new elevator will be installed where the pharmacy is currently located. This will make it easier for patients to access any of the services located on the second floor of the Health Center.
“We’re going to change nearly every aspect of the Health Center,” said Dr. Gregory Moore, the director of Stamps Health Services.
One of the most significant changes that the Health Center will undergo will be the redesigning of the primary care clinics. Currently, the waiting area for the Health Center is located near the entrance, forcing nurses and patients to walk long distances to the examination room.
By renovating these facilities, each primary care center will have a waiting area near the exam room, making the experience much more similar to doctor’s offices at individual clinics.
The Health Center will expand its psychiatric services by adding more offices to the ward upstairs. The Women’s Clinic, which receives approximately 70 patients each week, will also be constructed on the second floor. The Dental Clinic will be closed later this month due to financial reasons, but the space could be rented out to a private practice in order to generate more revenue in the future. The total cost of these renovation projects is expected to be around $2 million.
In addition to these renovation projects, the Health Center will undertake a project to digitize its medical records and streamline patient care. By the end of the project, students will be able to provide a digital record of their symptoms and their medical history before making an appointment, making it easier for doctors to identify potential solutions and prescribe the proper medication.
Both of these projects will help serve the Health Center’s long term goal of becoming an accredited facility. Most large universities have accredited facilities.
“It’s important to know that you’ve done those things to stay up to date and for patients to know that they are getting the best care possible,” Moore said.
The project will be completed by the first week of the fall semester, when approximately 1000 students are expected to visit the Health Center.