10/01/10: Campus Crime

Broken elevator

On Sept. 13, around 7 p.m., a student was found trapped in an elevator at Center Street Apartments. A fellow resident had reported the incident after hearing some noises coming through the elevator doors on the fifth floor of the building.

The office responded promptly and knocked on the doors to confirm that the student was inside and safe. She confirmed that everything was all right and was safely removed from the elevator by the City of Atlanta Fire Department by 7:20 p.m. The student was not physically injured.

Crosswalk collision

At 3:58 p.m. on Sept. 24, a student was struck by a car while walking southbound on North Avenue and Techwood. The car was described by an on-looker as a four door gold sedan traveling eastbound on North Avenue.

The student victim was walking within the boundaries of the marked crosswalk and was hit by the 25 mph moving vehicle. The police and an ambulance were quickly notified and the student was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital for medical treatment of her injuries. The student was released later that week.

Angry affray

An officer was dispatched to a fight in progress at the Sigma Chi Fraternity house on Sept. 25. A group of individuals were observed in front of the house fighting in the middle of the street. The officer then called for additional units to respond.

One member of the fraternity was approached and stated that the fight broke out between members of the fraternity and three males who arrived to the private party. The three males arrived to the house and asked some fraternity members to move a vehicle that was blocking their vehicle’s path.

When asked to leave the property, the three males refused and began the fight. One of the witnesses sustained injuries to his head and abrasions on his chin and elbows. No charges were pressed.