Former dean of students Dull passes

James Edward Dull, former dean of students, passed away last Sunday, March 22. He was 80 years old.

Prior to joining Tech, Dull served as assistant dean of men at the University of Miami of Ohio, where he also earned his master’s degree in higher education.

Dull joined the Tech community in 1957, taking the position of assistant dean of students.

Dull became the associate dean of students three years later, and in 1964, he was promoted to the dean of students. He remained at Tech until 1991, when he retired as vice president/dean of students emeritus.

As dean, Dull was responsible for disciplinary policy as well as the administration of non-academic activities. Dull proudly served as the advisor to SGA, where he attended weekly meetings for 33 years.

Student services on Tech’s campus experienced tremendous growth under Dull’s leadership. Under his administration, facilities, including the Student Center, health center and athletic complex, were replaced and upgraded. New facilities that were built included the Flags Building as well as the theatre used by DramaTech.

In addition to an expansion of services, Dull’s leadership oversaw an expansion in student population. The number of students living on campus increased from 1,100 to 4,200, while the number of female students on campus increased from 11 to 3,050.

Dull actively supported and participated in the student experience at Tech, living on campus for 31 years. Dull also taught an options class for 30 years, helping to teach students to ballroom dance. Dull supported several student organizations, holding membership in ANAK, ODK, Pi Kappa Phi and Friends of DramaTech.

In addition to his campus contributions, Dull is responsible for two of Tech’s most recognized icons.

In 1960, Dull located and purchased the 1929 Ford Model A known today as the Ramblin’ Wreck. Dull also worked to create Buzz, designing both his costume and mannerisms.

A memorial service will be held Sunday, April 5, at 2 P.M. in the Peachtree Christian Church. In Lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations to the Peachtree Christian Church Columbarium, or the DramaTech Scholarship at the Georgia Tech Foundation.