“Dress for Success” indeed successful

Photo Courtesy of Alpha Omega Epsilon

Earlier this week, if students happened to pass by the Student Center, they would notice the bake sale conducted by Alpha Omega Epsilon to support their main philanthropy.

“A.O.E.’s main philanthropy is the not-for-profit organization Dress for Success. Dress for Success is an international organization that provides career counseling, interview advice, mentoring and professional clothing for economically disadvantaged women,” second-year ISYE major Katie Horton said.

Along with the bake sale, the sorority hosts several other events throughout the year that aid both the students and Dress for Success.

“Usually, we have an annual Dress for Success fashion show where we show the do’s and don’ts of professional clothing and give examples of what is appropriate to wear to the office and what is not. In addition, we have collected professional wear to donate to Dress for Success, and we also have raised money for Dress for Success through the fashion show and the bake sales,” said Horton.

The event also helped get the word out about Dress for Success as an organization.

“My favorite part about working the bake sale this year was telling people more about Dress for Success. Those that have heard of the local Atlanta organization were happy to support it, and those that are only recently hearing about it were looking to get more involved, which was fantastic,” said Horton.

Putting the event together was easy, as Horton explained, because many of the girls in the sorority were eager to help and volunteer their time by setting up and doing all of the baking prior to the event. The event also had it’s own personal meaning to it.

“Personally, this is one of my favorite organizations to support because I feel that it is for such a great cause. Dress for Success not only provides women with suits and other professional wear for interviews, but it provides women who have come from tough situations with the chance for economic independence. Dress for Success also seeks employment retention by giving career advice and guidance. This has helped lead to economic freedom and stability in many women’s lives,” said Horton.

Dress for Success is a local Atlanta affiliate, with more than 100 affiliates worldwide, dedicated to further empowering women in being independent in their business.