Student Spotlight: Alex Bandes

Photo by Sho Kitamura

The first round of exams are-for the most part over, applications for clubs are under way and the freshmen are finally learning their way from the CULC to North Avenue Dining Hall.

As students get a handle on the bustling semester, it seems to be the perfect time to start looking into getting involved.

The Technique sat down with Junior Class President, Alex Bandes, to discuss his acclimation to Tech and advice for gaining leadership roles on campus.

Technique: First off, let’s start by you telling us a little bit about yourself.

Bandes: I’m a building construction major from Tampa, Fla. I came to Tech knowing absolutely no one, eager to branch out and make new friends. I am an active member in the Student Government Association and a brother in the Sigma Chi Fraternity. I like to discuss current events, read, and cook low-carb meals… when I can find the time.

Technique: As part of the legislative branch of the student government, which funding initiatives are you most proud of?

Bandes: We are working to design a set of clear-cut steps through which clubs and organizations can receive funding. Hopefully, this simplification will create a more cohesive relationship between SGA and the students we represent.

Technique: What’s the area in which SGA could use the most improvement?

Bandes: Definitely getting campus excited about our initiatives and about our organization as a whole. SGA is an organization for the students by the students. The more passionate people we can get involved, the more we can positively impact campus life.

Technique: What motivated you to get involved with SGA as a freshman?

Bandes: Knowing just a handful of people, running for SGA representative was a great way for me to make new friends and cultivate a secret love for politics.

Technique: At a few points throughout your SGA career your face was posted throughout campus for campaigns. Did people recognize you?

Bandes: It doesn’t happen as much as you’d think, but meeting new people is always fun! I hope I get stopped more often around campus!

Technique: If you could be famous for anything, what would it be?

Bandes: Definitely going against the status quo. I’m an entrepreneur at heart.

Technique: As an entrepreneur, what kinds of projects, if any, have you worked on during your time at Tech?

Bandes: I am currently working on a new social media website, froplife.com which allows users to share Greek events with their college. Check it out.

Technique: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Bandes: I am not entirely sure what form my career will take, but

I hope to be in a position where I can combine my entrepreneurial spirit with my passion for education to revolutionize the way we learn.

Technique: If you could give freshmen one piece of advice what would it be?

Bandes: Do not be afraid to fail.

Technique: What do you like most about being a student at Tech?

Bandes: Aside from Buzz busting into my classroom to interrupt my tenured college professors, I love my peers. The vast range of interests, people and ideas inspires me to grow and expand my perspective.