Global Positioning Strategy encourages international outreach

Photo Courtesy of Communications and Marketing

In an effort to expand Tech’s tradition of international engagement, a faculty task force has released a Global Positioning Strategy highlighting its goals for providing students with a global education and bringing the world to Atlanta.

The strategy, which was announced last fall by Office of the Provost leadership, is a part of the 25-year Strategic Plan which functions as a vision of progress and public service both on and beyond Tech campus.

The execution of the global strategy is being directed by Dr. Yves Berthelot, President of Georgia Tech-Lorraine. Dr. Berthelot was appointed as Vice Provost for International Initiatives and Steven A. Denning Chair in Global Engagement in August, succeeding School of Electrical and Computer Engineering Chair Steve McLaughlin.

For the next five years, global positioning initiatives will be focused on engaging
international alumni.

Having been involved in the groth of GT-Lorraine since 1997, Dr. Berthelot’s role building relationships with associates in France and within the EU have given him the necessary insight to lead future collaborative efforts to facilitate the Institute’s global education and research initiatives.

Extending Tech’s global presence is one of the biggest objectives for the positioning strategy. The Institute has been recognized as standing among the most globalized technological universities in the world, with nearly 900 students representing 26 majors currently participating in the International Plan and 40 percent of undergraduate students gaining international work and study experience prior to graduation.

Extending Tech’s global presence is one of the biggest objectives.

The positioning strategy also give emphasis to the hope to build upon Tech’s tradition of global engagement by continuing to develop branch campuses like GT-Lorraine’s joint international laboratory, the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS) and GT-Singapore’s global logistics institute, while encouraging connections with other foreign research partners.

The report emphasized the importance of enhancing the global leadership potential of students by collaborating with peer institutions to increase the number of study, work and research opportunities abroad.

In relation to the goal of bringing international commerce, education and technology to Atlanta, the Institute will also commence working on Tech’s Global Village. The Global Village will act as a hub for interaction between the local public and private sector, and partners in innovation around the world.

Though the Institute indicated its intent to develop a large-scale academic facility in India in 2007, after an initial effort to establish a campus there, plans to do so are currently being reassessed due to the stalling of a Foreign Universities Bill that would allow for international institutions to set up base in India.

The minds behind the Global Positioning Strategy expect that opportunities in India will continue to be explored, but priorities will be refocused on furthering engagement with existing campuses and branches.

Closer to home, the strategy went on to highlight the need for further integration of the international perspective into the curriculum. The faculty task force anticipates that this goal will be achieved by integrating applied research from science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) skills with service learning experiences to address current global policy issues.