Student Speak: System provides opportunities for networking, leadership

To go Greek or not to go Greek? That is the question many Tech students face. However, Tech’s take on Greek life appears to not follow stereotypes.

“Greek life here is completely different from bigger schools. We are nerds who enjoy a closer knit community of people,” said Ally Stone, a first-year BIO major. Though there are several motivations for getting involved, the array of benefits Greek life provides impacts student’s lives, on and off campus.

Many students come to Tech planning to join a fraternity or sorority. Some follow in the footsteps of their family joining Greek life as legacies. A legacy is someone whose parent was in the same fraternity or sorority.

“I already knew several brothers at a fraternity through my older brother, and thought they were true gentleman,” said Jonathan Heffner, a first year BME major.

Others already identified with the Greek system.

“I joined Greek life at Tech due to the lackluster social setting of the school. I wanted to be around people who value traits such as being outgoing, well-rounded, and fun, in contrast to the computer-dwelling intellectuals that this school is thought to be solely comprised of,” said Scott Prombo, a first-year BME major.

“One of the biggest benefits is the leadership opportunities, as well as philanthropic opportunities. There are so many of us, and there’s always someone involved in something you might be interested in. There’s so much opportunity,” said Katie Stocker, a second-year BA major.

Some benefits of Greek life present themselves after students are inducted.

“It’s awesome to have a support system in your sisters, there’s always someone to help you out in your classes,” said Sarah Brady, a first-year INTA major.

The bonds formed within sororities and fraternities not only help create an enjoyable college experience, but can also help in the future.

“I joined [Greek Life] so that I could develop networks that would help me out later on in my life after college,” said Carl Houde, a first-year ECE major.

This sentiment holds true: Greek men and women head 43 of America’s largest 50 corporations.

Greek life influences every aspect of a student’s life.

“Your social circle expands a lot, and the ratio goes up for you. You get to know a lot of upperclassmen that make it a lot easier for you to get through Tech. You have a lot of opportunities through Alumni and brothers with internships and co-ops. I would have transferred if it weren’t for Greek life,” said Kyle Moad, a second-year ME major.