Campus living options present advantages, disadvantages

The Freshman Experience at Tech mandates that all incoming students live in a residence hall with another person.  Indeed, first year would not be the same without the experience of living in a room that’s not only smaller than the room students had at home, but also one they share with another person.

After a year of sleeping on a bed lofted to the point where the ceiling becomes the leading cause of head injury, students welcome the opportunity to choose among three main options as their new dwelling.

One option popular among second-year students is to continue living on campus in apartment or suite-style residence halls, affording greater degrees of privacy, such as North Ave. Apartments, Center Street Apartments, etc.

The convenience of easy access to campus facilities, increased time with cherished friends also living on campus, and the envied option of sleepily stumbling to class remain benefits to the resident — assuming they are able to afford it.

In addition to meal plan considerations and the scrutiny of an RA regarding adherence to Housing policy, the subtle costs of living on campus are a factor to evaluate carefully against alternative locations in the surrounding Atlanta area.

Many third- and fourth-year students choose to relocate to an off-campus residence in the Atlanta area such as Marietta Street Apartments or the Loft. While this provides students with a greater degree of freedom and a sense of growing independence, issues such as transportation to and from campus, hassle of paying utility bills, and an adjustment in lifestyle need to be addressed to ensure optimal functioning across academic, financial, and personal endeavors.

A popular third option open to those who have family living in Georgia is to move back home which, despite the unfavorable conditions of having roommates called “Mom, Dad, and/or Sibling,” has the benefit of  being the most fiscally advantageous. While the transportation and increased dedication and accountability involved with making it to campus to attend classes, meetings, projects, and events remain concerns to evaluate, the responsibility it fosters and savings retained from returning home could outweigh the aversion to moving home that students express.

Regardless of where students choose to live, the option to relocate is always open to those unsatisfied with their current residence.