Tips & Tricks: Stimulating Creativity

Tech has some of the most innovative minds on the east coast, proven through many inventions and award-winning designs. It can’t be denied, however, that creativity takes work. Here are some tips to get the creative juices flowing.

Mind Games:

There are many activities and exercises for the brain to work up a mental sweat. Working logic problems and puzzles like crosswords or Sudoku helps strengthen your brain and help pass time. Although playing “Angry Birds,” while on the bus might give you glimps into the physics of flying birds, brain exercises and puzzles will improve brain function in the long run.

Create: 

Another good way to improve your creative skills is to just do it. Take out a pencil and paper and try sketching whatever is on your mind. Or plan something out and develop a procedure for how to reach your goal. One tiny spark of a creative idea can explode into a firework finale of exciting thoughts, just waiting to be carried out. You’ll find when you start creating things you have more and more ideas along the way.  The Student Center has several options classes available to help improve and cultivate your creativity.

Explore:

Trying new things and keeping an open mind is a very important aspect of creativity. The world has so many resources for you to both expand your horizons as well as channel your creativity. When you go out and do something you’ve never done before, often you’ll find out things about yourself you didn’t know. Even if the experience is not the best in the world, you will still have new knowledge you could not have gotten from doing the same old routine.  There are many clubs on campus to help you explore and build your creativity through experience.

Overcome Bad Moods:

A 2006 study published in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences concluded positive moods can increase creative thinking. Try to limit self-criticism as it can get you down and inhibit the creative process. The more positively you see a problem the easier it is to think of possible solutions. If you get stuck in a bad mood, just take a break from what you’re doing.