InVenture showcases student creations

Welcome to the Inventure Prize, the place where Tech’s most brilliant and creative minds come together to compete for a $ 15,000 grand prize.

For over three years, this competition has encouraged students to strive for something beyond their coursework. To create, to innovate and to succeed.

The InVenture Prize gives students a glimpse into the real world, with real-life problems and challenges to deal with. Students leave the safety of their classrooms to venture out and make their inventions a reality.

They learn to consider the commercial side of things, take costs and profits into account, study the possible market for their invention, and eventually patent their technology.

In essence, everything needed to take their idea from the drawing board to a physical, mass-produced object.

The highly competitive nature of this event guarantees to bring out the best in everyone, which is why even people with less concrete ideas are encouraged to join.

It is a fantastic, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get to meet and know the ‘thinkers’ of Tech.

This competition has a history of producing great scientific minds. Last year’s winner, Patrick Whaley, is highly successful. His invention was a weighted shirt that utilizes a form fitting gel to create comfortable sports apparel.

This can be used to increase the intensity of workouts, gain strength and help disabled people rehabilitate.

After several important modifications to his product, Patrick successfully launched ‘Titin Tech’ encompassing a range of sport apparel.

Retail sales are set to begin by the end of this February and estimates of current production look highly positive.

Another idea, “The Chlorocyte Bioreactor,” whose creators won the 2009 Inventure Prize, has taken off as well. It involves using algae to absorb carbon dioxide and eventually, help create a greener environment. The team created a startup company called Sora which is ready to commercialize this novel technology. Its future looks promising as well.

This year’s competition promises to be grander and bigger than before, with 124 participants already registered to compete.

With an able panel of mentors, guides and professors, the participants will have someone to fall back upon in case of technical difficulties.

Students can catch the innovative and inventive spirit of their peers in action at the semifinals on Feb. 8.