Tips & Tricks: How to live “Green”

Sometimes life moves so fast that it’s easy to forget the consequences of our actions. The most convenient or affordable choice may not always be the most sustainable choice. However, there are lots of little things you can do to make a big difference. These small changes not only benefit the earth, but can benefit you as well. Here are some easy tips and tricks to help you go green without slowing you down.

Use Reusable Shopping Bags

Plastic bags are made from crude oil and natural gas and take up to 1000 years to decompose, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Reusable bags not only cut back on the waste, but stores like Target and CVS actually give you money back for every reusable bag you bring.

Turn off the Lights

This is a simple, but often overlooked, way to go green. If you’re not in the room, turn the light off.

Shop with Friends

Save gas by taking one car to go shopping or run errands. Singing along to the radio is more fun with friends anyway.

Print on Both Sides of Paper

Whenever you’re printing at the library or Clough Commons, make sure the printer is set to double-sided printing. You save paper and buzzfunds.

Use a Reusable Water Bottle

Next time you pick up a plastic water bottle, imagine a quarter of that bottle being filled with oil. That is how much oil was used to produce that bottle Reusable water bottles are inexpensive, convenient, durable, and come in great designs that make you happy to drink water.

Buy Local

Shopping at a local farmer’s market supports small farmers, and gives you fresher, more organic food choices. Georgia Tech partners up with local vendors to bring food, demonstrations, and activities to you. Make sure to check out the Farmer’s Market every Thursday now through November 17th on Tech Walkway. http://gatechdining.com/sustainability_farmers.html

Efficient Shower heads

Place an empty gallon plastic milk jug up to your shower head and turn on the water. If it is filled up in thirty seconds or less, then purchase a water saving shower head that can save up to 50% on water used. This will reduce your carbon footprint tremendously.