Tech hosts Relay for Life

Every year, almost two million people are diagnosed with cancer, and over 11 million people continue the struggle with the disease.
In 1985, the American Cancer Society started the Relay for Life and the event has grown in popularity ever since. Students, teachers and anyone who is interested can devote 24 hours to walk in honor of a cancer patient. As of today, Relay for Life has over 3.5 million people participating in the event in the United States and some countries abroad. Tech made its own contribution to the cause by hosting Relay for Life on Friday, April 15.
“We were very proud to have over 940 participants at this year’s Relay for Life,” said Joey Slater, a second-year CM major. “We had a board of approximately 16 people organizing the entire event [all of which were students].”
Slater went on to talk about the efforts of all those participating in the event.
“The event was supposed to take place at the CRC field, but rain forced us inside. But cancer doesn’t quit on rain, so we didn’t either,” Slater said. “We had different performances [from] Ramblin’ Raas, The Beat Geeks [and] Under the Couch Bands. Many relayers walked the CRC track in order to pay respects for those lost and fighting cancer.”
This year, over 70 different teams worked together to raise a total sum close to $50,000.
Some of the students participating in the event reflected on the survival of loved ones, and others walked in respect of those who had passed on.
Adrianna Carter, a third-year BME major talked about her participation in the event and her strong support of cancer victims.
“I want every student to understand the importance in participating in events such as these. Many times, because we are in college, and young we think that we are immune to horrible diseases such as cancer. I am here because I want to support those who have gone before me fighting the disease, and raise awareness to those who have never faced the sadness of losing a loved one to cancer,” Carter said.
For Carter, who recently lost a friend to brain cancer, the walk, like many, was personal.
“He was only 21 years old when he passed away, and it was very sudden,” Carter said. “I know that all of his friends and family were shocked to find out that he had this terrible disease. It was really hard to face the reality of his situation, but I know that if his family can make it through such a disaster then other families can face the same situations. I come to Relay for Life because I want people to know that cancer is not something to be taken lightly. It can affect everyone, and we all need to support those who fight the battle, as well as those who have survived.”
This was Carter’s fifth year participating in the event, both at Tech and back home at her high school.
Torey Poole, a first-year STaC major, participated in the event to celebrate the life of her cousin, Eli, a surviving cancer patient.
Eli had to undergo a series of six radiation treatments and 25 weeks of chemotherapy, and he was recently declared cancer-free.
Relay for Life is an annual event, and each year the participants help to encourage more students to come out and join the activity.