McKee presents background, goals for VPID

As a component of a three-part series of finalists for the newly created position of Vice President of Institute Diversity (VPID), Sallye McKee discussed her diversity-oriented interests in front of a broad group of campus leaders at the Global Learning Center on Tuesday, Sept. 7.

If selected from the pool of three candidates, McKee hopes to ensure diversity and inclusion for the faculty, staff and students; to strengthen cooperation to optimize intellectual and personal leadership development for students and to foster learning and civic engagement for constituents in both the campus and the surrounding community.

McKee’s prior work experience has been in “service learning and development of campus climates for diversity and inclusion.”

For over 25 years, McKee has acted in roles for diversity, equity and community engagement at the University of Colorado (Boulder), the University of Minnesota, the University of Denver, the Metropolitan State College of Denver and Bowling Green State University.

McKee’s educational experience has been broad as well, as she received a B.A. from Morris Brown College. She then went on to receive a M.S. in Teaching and a Ph.D. in Curriculum/Instruction and Educational Psychology from the Universities of Chicago and Minnesota.

The Institute’s purpose in creating the position of VPID is part of a larger effort across all divisions of campus to promote “a compositionally diverse community of students, faculty and staff,” according to the website for the President’s Office.

Anthony Walesby was the first finalist to visit Tech for a public discussion of his goals for and interests in the VPID position. Archie Ervin from UNC-Chapel Hill visited Tech on Tuesday, Sept. 14.