Relay raises $65k to fight cancer

Money was not the only thing raised at Tech during Relay for Life which took place on Friday, April 11. The 12-hour-long team event, in which at least one member of the team is asked to remain on the running path for the duration of the event, also raised awareness in the community about cancer.

The night was a time of celebration, inspiration and remembrance. “There [were] ceremonies to celebrate survivors and also a ceremony to remember those friends and family members that we’ve lost because of cancer,” said Nicole Piver, a fourth-year Management major and member of Georgia Tech’s Relay for Life executive board.

Over 800 participants in more than 55 organizations and businesses attended Relay to show their support at the American Cancer Society’s signature event. They raised approximately $65, 000, which will go to support the American Cancer Society (ACS) in its research and efforts.

According to www.relay.acsevents.org, the lifesaving mission of ACS is “to eliminate cancer as a major health issue.” Piver, who was in charge of accounting for the event, personally raised over $900 during the event.

The event offered plenty of activities to keep participants entertained during the 12 hours, including a battle of the bands and other athletic fundraisers. “It’s a fun way to spend a Friday night,” Piver said.

According to the GT Relay for Life web site, the event is “dedicated to inspiring members of the community to celebrate, remember, and fight back. At Georgia Tech, Relay for Life is truly an unforgettable experience for all who contribute and it continues to serve as a reminder that passionate individuals can make a difference.”

Originally planned to be located in the Roe Stamps Fields, it was moved to the CRC because of rain.

For those who want to get involved with next year’s Relay for Life, Piver recommends getting started early. Planning for the event begins nearly one year in advance.

“You can either set a goal to be on Relay for Life exec, or start a team of your own with some friends or with an organization you’re in. Anyone can form a team – it’s never too early to begin fundraising,” Piver said.

For more information on Relay for Life, visit: www.relayforlife.org or www.relay.gatech.edu.