Twenty One Pilots soar above expectations

Photo courtesy of Fueled by Ramen

Everything about Twenty One Pilots is different. From their ski masks and body paint stage personas to their unique combination of musical genres, the band refuses to be defined. With only two members, the band certainly does not lack energy.

Tyler Joseph leads vocals, bass, the piano and the ukulele alongside Josh Dun, the drummer who also plays the trumpet. Played on pop and alternative stations, Twenty One Pilots’ signature sound has influences of alternative, punk rock, reggae, and rap.

Twenty One Pilots consistently delivers an authentic, genuine voice in every song. Joseph’s lyrics are relatable to all fans with words of defeat, vulnerability and insecurity but also positivity, motivation and determination to be true to oneself.

With the release of the band’s newest album, “Blurryface,” Joseph belts out impressive notes, punching listeners with powerful and relatable words on insecurities with lines such as, “My name’s Blurryface and I care what you think.” Twenty One Pilots’ Emotional Roadshow tour hit Duluth on Aug. 6, captivating a sold-out show at the Infinite Energy Arena and featuring a set list that included songs from all four of the band’s albums.

In response to thousands of fans chanting “TOP,” Joseph and Dun took stage and led with “Heavydirtysoul.” Both wore ski masks and suits and the song ended with Joseph making a disappearing act, going from the stage to one of the top sections of the arena. Within seconds of the start of the song, fans sang along to the lyrics and Joseph incorporated fans into the track, “We Don’t Believe What’s On TV,” by yelling “1,2,3,” followed by the arena shouting, “Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,” as he strummed his ukulele.

Dun and Joseph poured their souls into each song, somehow bringing more energy and life with each subsequent song. Dun dared to drum on top of the crowd, having fans in the pit lift up a board carrying his drums as he slammed to the pinnacle of the hit “Ride,” and throwing his drumstick into the crowd at the end of the song. Twenty One Pilots paired incredible vocals with theatrical antics, as Dun backflipped off of the piano.

Later, Joseph climbed into a giant red hamster ball and ran over the pit. Throughout the show,
the band came on and off stage wearing multiple outlandish costumes, from Dun’s red eye makeup and white shorts to Joseph’s red beanie, long floral shirt and white sunglasses.

The performance was marked with astounding lighting effects throughout the entire concert. With strobe and disco effects, the lights added to each song. The lighting gave a very eerie atmosphere to Joseph’s epic bass during their latest single, “Heathens,” which hit the top spot on Billboard’s Hot Rock Chart, and made the band the first to have three successive songs top the list, with “Ride” and “Stressed Out” previously reaching this position.

Joseph and Dun called out their opening acts, Chef’Special and Mutemath, to join them on stage, and proved that they are as captivating with covers as they are with their original songs. First they treated the audience to “Twist and Shout,” followed by Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself.”

Twenty One Pilots is extremely versatile and equally soulful, as was shown with Elvis’ “Can’t Help Falling In Love,” while the crowd sang along and waved their phones in the air making a dreamy light show. Dun then took up his trumpet for their rendition of House of Pain’s “Jump Around,” having thousands of fans jumping and waving to the beat.

Nearing the end of the show, Joseph and Dun treated audiences to fan favorites, “Stressed Out” and “Tear in My Heart,” as Joseph played the piano. The duo closed the show and left stage only to give into the fans’ requests for more, coming back on stage with two songs.

They ended the show with “Trees,” and both headed for the center as fans lifted them up and they again drummed on top of the pit. With each bang on the drums, red and white confetti exploded. Joseph and Dun dared to be different and gave fans a truly interactive experience to be remembered by.

After opening in May in Cincinnati, Ohio, the band plans to hit cities around the U.S. and in Europe, closing in Perth, Australia. When around Tech and stuck in Midtown traffic, check out Radio 105.7 to listen to the latest Twenty One Pilots hits. There is still a chance to catch the Twenty One Pilots ride at Music Midtown on Sep. 17 and 18 at Piedmont Park, where fans can see the duo stress out.