Gibson finds his spot between mainstream bands

Photo courtesy of Bruce Gibson

“Moments in Between” is the newest album by Georgia native Bruce Gibson. The average music listener has probably never heard of him because of the type of music he makes, but Gibson is very talented and musical connoisseurs should look into this relatively unknown musician. Gibson is from Woodstock, Ga., which is about 30 miles northwest of Atlanta.

Gibson’s style is uniquely folksy but definitely also adds a touch of rock. Gibson recorded “Moments in Between” at Basecamp Studios in Montana and the album was produced by Chris Cunningham, a member of the band Storyhill, according to information Serge Media, a public relations group, provided to the Technique. Bruce Gibson says that an important influence on his musical career was John Denver, he also credits John Lennon and McCartney as inspirational icons. An attentive and dedicated listener can easily identify the folk and rock influences, though Gibson’s music also has elements of blues and gospel.

“Moments in Between” is Gibson’s second album, following a hiatus that lasted for six years. The album starts slow with the first two songs, “Small Hotel” and “Light of Day,” which may appeal to some listeners, but some might not like them as much as the rest of the album. The songs are not only slow but also the instruments are neither particularly divers nor do they play complex scores, a quality that does not make music popular nowadays. The beginning of the album sounds as though Gibson was trying a little too hard to not be a mainstream musician with these tracks, opting instead for unique originality, which might not have been the best option in this particular case. Starting with the third song, “Know What I Know,” however, the album picks up the pace, and the guitar starts to sound a bit like Creedence Clearwater Revival. The middle of the album has a very steady melodic feel. “Know What I Know” is where it is possible to begin enjoying “Moments in Between.” From here on, the songs of the album start to blend its guitar with some saxophone for a unique sound.

After the middle tracks, the final songs of the album start to have a sound with very laid-back and simple instrumentals and similar vocals on top. Discounting its slow beginning, Gibson’s “Moments in Between” is a rather solid album. It has a variety of sound which might help Gibson to reach a slightly larger audience as well as show that Gibson can do more than just a single sound. He blends solid instrumentals with a decent singing voice, and it will be interesting to see where Gibson takes his talent next. He may never become mainstream due to the genre that he has chosen to write and play, nonetheless Bruce Gibson is worth seeking out for his future musical endeavors.

Our Take: 3/5