Tech hosts Winter Market

Photo courtesy of JavaGenesis Coffee Roasting

It is quite possible to stumble upon pretty much anything while innocently walking around Tech’s gloriously un-phased campus. Last year, for example, Dr. Greco and Dr. Fenton of the School of Physics, created a human representation of a spiral wave. Along the same unique and swerving line, there have been Quidditch Matches, laser tag opportunities, festivals celebrating nothing in particular (as well as festivals with a purpose), glow in the dark capture the flag, various movie screenings and, of course, the week-long Humans vs. Zombies war each semester.

With such a wide ranch of uncommon events, as well as regularly scheduled activities and the actual reason students are here, their classes, it is understandable that many did not know that Georgia Tech’s Farmer’s Market was set to return for a single day as the Winter Market. Despite numerous signs posted around campus as well as various online messages and group emails, the majority of people in attendance last Thursday, had merely stumbled upon the Winter Farmer’s Market and were simply enjoying a pleasant surprise.

Though the full-fledged Farmer’s Market on Tech Walkway each Thursday is not set to return to campus until Feb. 19, nearly a month from now, Jan. 22 saw a quaint preview in the Student Center’s Peachtree Room. From eleven until two in the afternoon, the Winter Farmer’s Market was open for business.

The way each of the eleven vendors had their tables pushed close to the walls made the room seem large and inviting, if a little empty. Having the Peachtree room all to themselves created quite a different atmosphere from the usual hectic one on Tech Walkway, where everyone feels slightly cramped as they try to make room for those just passing through while maintaining their spot in line for coffee.

The event last Winter Farmer’s Market saw the return of the usual vendors such as the coffee-selling Blue Donkey and the lotion and soap vendor That Special Touch. Blue Donkey was not, however, the only one to try selling coffee to one of the demographics most in need of it, college students. JavaGenesis was there, giving market goers a broader choice of flavors than one vendor alone could feasibly provide.

In addition to the ever popular coffee, several tables had gluten free bread, and one was even selling zip block bags with broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and various other vegetables. It was this vendor in particular which reminded the buyers that this was a farmer’s market, not, despite Blue Donkey’s appearance, a professional store temporarily relocating for their customer’s convenience.

For someone who has not had opportunity to leisurely stroll through a farmer’s market before, the Winter Market would have been a novel experience. As one goes to each table, the vendors intently watch their prospective customer, and at the slightest provocation, they will launch into a detailed description of their goods. The representative of That Special Touch even started listing what went into her hand lotion and how it differed from its store bought equivalent.

Considering that the Farmer’s Market is basically a place to buy things, not a place to hang out, it should be very low on someone’s list of entertainment venues, but one could not go terribly wrong by including the Georgia Tech Farmer’s Market to a list of places from which to buy coffee or fresh produce after running out of Ramen.