Georgia’s first country festival

When one thinks of music festivals, the same genre and attendees predictably come to mind. With shows like Bonnaroo, Coachella and Austin City Limits dominating the scene and attracting nationwide attention, many think that the “festival” scene strictly caters to these indie and alternative varieties.

However, Atlanta has done its part to change all of these connotations. With the resurrection of Music Midtown in Atlanta in 2011, headliners have included everyone from Eminem to Journey to Zac Brown Band. Plus, May 2013 marked the start of Atlanta’s Shaky Knees Festival, an event for rock music lovers that has featured Modest Mouse, Band of Horses and The Lumineers in past line-ups.

This summer, another type of non-alternative festival is coming to the Empire City of the South, and its genre caters towards a large portion of the southern demographic: it’s completely country!

The Shaky Boots Festival—which is being initiated by the same producers of Shaky Knees—represents the very first top-tier country music event to span multiple days and be held in the state of Georgia.

“Country music has such a rich history in the South,” said Shaky Boots co-founder Tim Sweetwood. “I was surprised that Georgia doesn’t have a first-class festival dedicated to the genre. Music is my absolute passion, and with the overwhelmingly positive response to Shaky Knees in three short years, it just felt like the right time to launch Shaky Boots.”

Blake Shelton, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Rascal Flatts, The Band Perry, Old Crow Medicine Show, Sara Evans, Justin Moore and 20 other renowned country artists are scheduled to perform across three stages during the two-day event in Kennesaw. Specifically, the event will occur on May 16 and 17 and will utilize the KSU Sports and Entertainment Park. These facilities have hosted numerous concerts and sporting events over the years, serving as the home field for the women’s professional soccer team, the Atlanta Beat, and are set to host KSU’s inaugural football season this upcoming fall.

Tickets went on sale Jan. 8, and already seem to be selling fast. Although ticket prices for the show seem a bit steeper than the average country concert price point­—early bird deals feature two-day passes starting at $169, with VIP packages pushing $500—the combined prices of seeing each and every headliner individually make this festival a great deal for any true country music lover.