Fiction Family talks inspiration, performance

Courtesy of Rock Ridge Music

Although they may not be the most well-known act presently on the national scene, the band Fiction Family has proven to be quite the up-and-comer in the world of independent music. Specializing in a mixture of folk and acoustic vibes, the duo, comprised of Switchfoot veteran Jon Foreman and Nickel Creek’s Sean Watkins, has recently released their second collaboration, Fiction Family Reunion, this past January. In light of their latest tour coming to Atlanta this weekend, the Technique got a chance to chat with Watkins about the band’s origins, their inspiration and what they have in store for the future.

What is the story behind you guys getting together?

Well, we knew of each other, both of us being in San Diego-based bands, but we never officially met until Nickel Creek and Switchfoot were playing the same stage at a street festival in downtown SD. We met backstage and talked about how we should get together and make music since we lived in the same town. So we followed through on that and just started writing songs together. After a while of that we realized we had enough songs for a record so we put them out as our first record.

What was the inspiration behind your new album Fiction Family Reunion? Is there any theme or message you’ve tried to get across to listeners?

There aren’t any overriding themes to this record. We just picked songs we liked and that we thought would fit the band.

Your Heavy and Light Tour is almost at its end; how would you guys say it has been received?

Very well. It’s been a blast to be a part of this show and I feel like the audience is enjoying it a lot too!

Have there been any stand-out memories along the way? At a particular show, or on the road?

Last night, in NYC at Irving Plaza, we played David Bowie’s “Heroes” as an encore with everyone on the bill on stage at once. It was really great. Everyone screaming the chorus.

What kind of performance can the audience expect during the show on the 16th here in Atlanta?

The night is full if a very eclectic group of musicians. We play last and have been trying to pack our set with as many new songs as possible.

After the tour is done, what lies ahead in the future for Fiction Family?

We want to keep FF a band [that] tours regularly. We are a real band and want to be viewed that way so we will definitely be playing more shows in near future.

Fiction Family will light up Atlanta’s own Center Stage on Saturday, Feb 16, and anyone with a taste for fresh music and old faces should definitely give this band a try.