Tech’s dancers show off their best in annual campus contest

In a school that is famous for its level of academic achievement, it seems almost unfair for its students to have sweet dance moves as well. But that is the case at Tech. Funded by SGA, organized by SCPC and hosted by Ms. GT Jasmine Lawrence and SCPC Ramblin’ Nights Chair Suchi Patel, the fourth annual So You Think Tech Can Dance contest took place in the Ferst Center on Tuesday, Nov. 6.

The competition showcased the best and brightest dance crews and solo performers from Tech’s student body. The panel of judges was comprised of three professionals from within the dance world, and a cash prize was awarded to the winning act. Luckily for the audience, these dancers came prepared to show what they were made of.

First on stage was the group Tufaan, who gave a riveting performance to the tune of a lively Indian soundtrack. This dance crew found its greatest strength in some fast footwork and the impressive and obvious chemistry between each dancer. Their moves resulted in a resounding ovation from the audience.

Next up was Jazba, a group that, like Tufaan, chose to express their love for dance through the energetic and entertaining rhythm of the ethnic Indian style. Boasting the most vibrantly colorful costumes of the night, Jazba distanced itself from its competitors by taking a slightly more theatrical approach to their routine. In addition to some well-constructed choreography, the dancers acted out the lyrics to the accompanying music at various points, to the delight of all in attendance.

After Jazba came Impact, a dance crew who put a slightly darker spin on the contest with their hip-hop routine that bordered on the realm of dubstep. The synchronization between each dancer was particularly noticeable with this group, as each movement seemed perfectly timed to the beat of the mechanized, Transformer-like music. Audience members were practically put into a frenzy when Impact showcased fantastic breakdancing moves, and one of the most entertaining moments of the contest came when some members of the group reenacted the now-famous dance of Psy’s “Gangnam Style.”

Next came the first and only solo act of the night, Freddy Damen. Though he was alone on stage, Damen proved himself a force to be reckoned with as he smoothly sailed through his routine of pop-and-lock style dance moves with the elegance of a professional.

After Damen came the only all-female dance crew of the night, Satrangi. Sporting a routine that focused on their strength as a unit, this group put forth a consistently fast-paced and well-timed effort with a touch of attitude to boot, successfully pulling off some of the more daring dance moves of the night.

Last but not least came what was by far the largest dance group in the contest, the Filipino Student Association. With roughly 30 members, this crew decided to tell a story with their routine. Two dancers took on the roles of a couple of kids playing video games, while the rest of the group members put their own hip-hop spin on popular games like Pokemon, Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong. The essences of each of these classic video games were reflected in both costumes and choreography. Needless to say, this particular group was a fan favorite for an audience comprised almost completely of Tech students.

After a special performance by Tech’s own Goldrush dance crew to the tune of Queen’s “We Will Rock You,” the votes were tallied, and the winners were announced. Taking first place in the solo category was Freddy Damen, and for the group category it was the dance crew Tufaan who was awarded the cash prize.

Despite any winners or losers from the night, every act in this contest proved one thing beyond any doubt: Tech can most certainly can dance.