City Scene

Atlanta Dogwood Festival

Come down to Piedmont Park this weekend and become a part of the 75th annual Atlanta Dogwood Festival. Immerse your creative self in more than 250 booths of the Artist Market. Take the opportunity to visit four stages for music performances. The live shows will play throughout the entire weekend. If these are not to your likings, have a pick at any of the other events such as the food and wine tasting, the International Village, a special comedy show and much more. So bring your family and friends to Piedmont Park this weekend and have the time of your life. Admission is free. For schedule and more information, visit www.dogwood.org.

Queen of Mean at Cobb

Lisa Lampanelli will grace the stage of Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre this Saturday, April 16. For those who are unfamiliar with Comedy’s Lovable Queen of Mean, Lampanelli is a seasoned raunchy comedian who excels in the art of insult comics. This veteran of the stage is a frequent feature on many Comedy Central shows who rarely stray from the topics of race and homosexuality. While the show will not bring laughter to the politically correct, others should not miss the performance of a true comic legend. Tickets start at roughly $40, a small price to pay for the most unsettling chance of lifetime. Visit www.cobbenergycentre.com for more information.

A Night to Remember

The Masquerade packs a tight lineup this Friday, April 15, with back-to-back performances by A Day to Remember, followed by The Raveonettes and finally John Popper from Blues Traveler. A Day to Remember is a highly accomplished post-hardcore band known for their mix of pop punk and metalcore music. The Raveonettes, on the other hand, are a Danish indie band influenced by The Everly Brothers and Velvet Underground. Lastly, John Popper, better known as the founder and frontman of Blues Traveler, is a distinguished harmonica virtuoso whose performance you do not want to miss. The different styles of music from each of them provide endless possibilities to the night. Each show is sold separately, please check www.masqueradeatlanta.com for more details.

This “True Confessions” Evening

Woodruff Center’s 14th Street Playhouse continues its production of “Confessions of a Nightingale” this weekend. Created by Ray Stricklyn and Charlotte Chandler, the show focuses on the life, love and pains of the great American playwright Tennessee Williams. Sid Shier, one of Atlanta’s most well-known and seasoned character actors will take on the role of the one responsible for the creation of many theatre classics such as “A Streetcar Named Desire” and “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.” Ticket price ranges from mid to high twenties. Please check www.14thstplayhouse.org for more information.