Interested in writing, photography, sales or design? If so, the Technique has a lot to offer. Our staff is comprised entirely of Tech students interested in improving their writing, communication and design skills. If you are interested in any of the following, consider joining the Technique.
- Improving your writing skills – By joining the Technique, you will learn how to write articles for a range of different sections including News, Opinions, Focus, Entertainment and Sports. In addition, you will learn how to interview sources and improve your skills to analyze information and ask the right questions.
- Sales opportunities – As part of the business team, you can hone your salesmanship by selling ads for the paper. Sharpening your sales skills can help you become a better marketer or manager in your professional career.
- Design skills – The Technique maintains two mediums of publication — both a print and online format. If you’re interested in graphic design, you’ll have the opportunity to work with section editors to help design layout the paper on a weekly basis. Doing so will help you expand your graphic design portfolio as well.
- Photography – Our staff is also responsible for taking photos for the paper. Among other things, lessons are held by fellow students on topics such as how to shoot sports, portraits, landscapes etc.
Staff meetings (for writers) are held weekly on Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m. in Rm. 137 of the Flag Building.
The purpose of the Technique is to serve the campus community by providing information, analysis and opinions that reflect the needs and interests of the student body at Georgia Tech.
Founded in 1911, the Technique serves as the campus newspaper for the Tech community. Our mission consists of four main pillars:
- Inform and entertain the student body by publishing articles in a timely manner that:
- Are of interest to the student body
- Meet the highest standards of quality and ethics
- Live up to the reputation of being “The South’s Liveliest College Newspaper.”
- Use our role as a college newspaper to provide unique content to the community by:
- Providing coverage and analyses of news and events both on- and off-campus that affect the student body
- Informing students about opportunities available on campus and around Atlanta to help them make decisions about how to spend their time
- Offering a feature centric, in-depth look at important sports around campus in the simplest and most effective manner possible
- Foster a sense of community by:
- Representing student opinion by writing thought-provoking editorials and providing a vehicle through which other members of the community can do the same
- Informing students about activities and initiatives in which they can take part to make an impact on Tech’s campus
- Using the resources available to capture the emotions and to tell the community’s compelling stories
- Be a place where students can:
- Develop their writing, photography, design, business and leadership skills
- Work in a safe and enjoyable environment and expect to be treated fairly and with respect
If you’re trying to get in touch with a member of the Technique staff, please see below. If you’re unsure whom to contact, email [email protected] or call 404-894-2831.
To submit a letter to the editor, email [email protected]. For other inquiries please choose the appropriate contact from the list below.
- Editor-in-Chief: Vidya Iyer (404.894.2831)
- Managing Editor: Nick Johnson
- Design Editor: Brighton Kamen
- News Editor: Maura Currie
- Opinions Editor: David Raji
- Life Editor: Jon Long
- Entertainment Editor: Kara Pendley
- Sports Editor: Harsha Sridhar
- Photo Editor: Sara Schmitt
- Web Developer: Ross Lindsay
- Business Manager:
- Head Copy Editor: Alexis Brazier